This past year I found myself in the constant roll of caregiver,
sometimes often feeling like I had nothing left to give. Tired and worn I reached for the little things that brought me comfort. Sometimes the smallest things can bring you the biggest smile and I have compiled a list of what brought light to a dark, difficult year for me.
- A hot bath complete with candles and plenty of bubbles.
- Painting my toe nails with a fun, bright color.
- Stopping by my favorite coffee shop for my special drink, paying for the person behind me.
- Playing with my animals. There is nothing more fun then tearing through the house with your doggie’s squeaky toy and having him chase you at top speed.
- Getting a haircut.
- Putting on a cheap, cucumber peel-off mask.
- Trying new recipes.
- Finding a new hobby – I became a HAM Radio operator!
- Creating a new upbeat music playlist.
- Phoning a friend, better yet, Skyping with them!
- Smiling at a stranger.
- Letting someone else cut in while commuting in heavy traffic.
- Trying a new lipstick color.
- Placing an affirmation where I could see it every day.
- Reading a good book.
- Putting on soothing hand lotion.
- Dabbing on my favorite perfume.
- Making a childhood favorite meal.
- Singing while driving.
- Stepping outside to look at the stars.
- Going for a drive.
- Doing something nice for someone without expecting anything in return – biggest smile ever!
- Baking cookies and then sharing them.
- Sitting by a warm fireplace.
- Slipping into my favorite sweatshirt.
- Watching my favorite movies while munching on popcorn.
- Going to bed early and getting a good night’s sleep.
- Sitting by water…my favorite is the ocean but even a stream will do.
Whatever it is in your life that is positive and brings you a moment or two of joy, by all means do it! It is only possible to be a good caregiver when you are fully charged and energized. Be good to YOU!